- 2 8 oz Filet mignon steaks
- ½ cup of beef broth
- ½ shallot chopped
- 4 oz of gorgonzola
- 1 tbsp of salted butter
- 2 tbsp of heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the meat:
- Pat filet mignon dry with paper towel.
- Season filets with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet to high heat. Add 2 tbsp of canola oil to the skillet and pan sear the filets on both sides until desired temperature. (125 °F for medium rare.)
- Remove from heat and transfer to plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with a ¼ cup of robust red wine.
For the sauce:
- In the same deglazed pan, melt the butter and saute the chopped shallots for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Increase the heat and add the beef broth to the mixture.
- Add the gorgonzola into the mixture and whisk as it melts.
- Add the cream to the mixture and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth.
- If sauce is too thick, add more beef broth until desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add sauce and meat back into same pan to serve. Enjoy with Borel.
- Recipe by Patrick Schneider